The other week at work I accidently managed to singe one of my favourite white cotton tops. The fabric wasn’t burnt through but as a co-worker pointed out, it now looked like I had a boggie on my chest. So I could either loose one of my favourite tops, or look at a way to fix things. I decided to have a go at fixing it by dying it. I figured a dark colour and you wouldn’t be able to spot the damage.
I decided on Logwood which would give a beautiful purple. I also spent some time pondering using a dipping method to get some variegation. I thought that might work out well with the style of top.
So after washing the top and popping it in to mordant I made up my logwood dye bath. At least that was the plan, but I was so distracted chatting on the phone I accidently made up an alkanet bath instead.
Which kinda decided it. Variegation with alkanet and logwood. Soon the second dye bath was set up and we were into the waiting game. I love dying with natural dyes but it can take quite a while.
Here is my top in the alkanet bath.
Then it was over to the logwood and I went for a dipping method.
Here it is in my sink where I hand washed it to get the thick of the dye out before running it through the washing machine on a rinse cycle.
I’ve been wearing it a lot as I love. Although people at work were a little disbelieving that it was the same top, I had to explain how it had been done a few times to convince them. I would have blogged about it sooner but it’s been difficult to get a shot of the finished top in daylight to show the colours properly. Now I’m casting my eye over my wardrobe to see what else I can dye like this. There have been a few more experiments since but that’s for another post…